Last week we had the pleasure of welcoming colleagues from across the region to our Annual General Meeting and it was great to see so many engaged people in the room.
Our keynote speaker, Jon White gave such an inspirational and motivating talk, guiding us through the day that changed his way of life in June 2010. Jon was in command of 40 Commando Royal Marines’ Reconnaissance Troop on patrol when he stepped on an IED. The explosion blew off three of his limbs – both legs below the knee and his right arm at the elbow. Jon’s session brought a new inspirational way of thinking to the room, explaining that everyone working to ensure he got home safe had one common goal, as well as an emotional attachment. This always makes me think of the patient and the fantastic work our health and care staff do on a daily basis.
We also heard from representatives of our Sustainability and Transformation Partnerships (STPs) as they talked us through successful transformations within the system and challenges they have overcome. We brought the day to an end with another fantastic question and answer session! A massive thank you to everyone who was able to join us on the day and special thanks to all of our speakers:
- Ann James, Chair, NHS South West Leadership Academy
- Stephen Hart, National Director of Leadership Development, Health Education England
- Jon White, Keynote Speaker
- Lucy Baker, Acting Director of Acute Commissioning, NHS Wiltshire CCG, Bath, Swindon & Wiltshire STP
- Laura Nicholas, STP Programme Director, Bristol, North Somerset & South Gloucestershire STP
- Adrienne Murphy, Director of HR & OD, Cornwall Partnership NHS Trust, Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly STP
- Mairead McAlinden, Chief Executive of Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust, Devon STP
- Shaun Clee, Chief Executive of ²gether NHS Foundation Trust, Gloucestershire STP
- Chris Squire, Director of HR & OD at Somerset County Council, Somerset STP
- Jennifer Howells, Regional Director, NHS England – South
Wishing you all a lovely Autumn,